Open and Distance System
The UTPL, a pioneer for distance education in Ecuador and Latin America, now makes higher education possible for more than 32,000 students nationwide and worldwide in undergraduate, graduate and special programs.
Since its establishment in 1976, the Open and Distance System has been characterized by the following: it follows the general guidelines of worldwide distance education systems, it provides the possibility to personalize the teaching-learning processes, and it promotes skills training for independent and self-responsible employees: the student is the protagonist of his/her training.
The pedagogical model of this modality focuses on the principle: “what the student can do, should not be done by the teacher”
This helps the teacher to discover, appreciate and respect the unique personality of each student.
Motivation and self-discipline
How a student organizes their behavior is a key factor in learning.
Overcoming small or large obstacles.
- Currently offers 25 programs within the following academic areas: technical, administrative, socio-humanistic and biological; and 11 graduate programs at the Master’s Degree level
- UTPL provides services in this kind of modality, through regional centers, provincial centers, associated centers and experimental centers in the 24 provinces of Ecuador, and 3 international centers in New York, Madrid and Rome.
Tools to support the Open and Distance Education System
With the videoconference Unit, the teacher can teach the class with all the tools and supplies found in a physical classroom. The signal is transmitted in real time to 25 virtual classrooms distributed throughout Ecuador.
Virtual learning environment (VLE)
The VLE allows students 24-hour access to the university regardless of where they live and provides extra-help from teachers, downloadable materials, access to a virtual library, and the ability to review grades on-line, among other benefits.
Virtual library:The virtual library is available to students 24 hours a day from any computer and houses thousands of scientific journals and digital resources that provide information and services.
Benefits of studying in the Open and Distance Education System
- Enhances a student’s personal activity
- Helps you manage your time rationally
- Develops creativity
- Stimulates research
- Allows you to develop your own personal study and work methods and habits
- Helps you meet all the requirements for each course
- Enables the student to complete self-assessments
- Develops the habits of reading, study and work
- Teaches students the habit of completing their work on time and well